Monday, May 3, 2010

SLEEPING IT OFF

LIBRA HOROSCOPE (from astrology.com): Your mood is a little down right now, so you might find it easier to just nap or otherwise dawdle the day away. Things are going to get better pretty soon, especially if one special person comes your way!

Laura’s Log:
I am so mad at myself! I fell into a dark funk last night over the fact that stupid Ken didn’t think I was worthy of a second date. Sure, I went through a rage cycle. Screw him! He’s a loser! Still obsessed with a girlfriend from a year ago,…creepy! Putting him down didn’t make me feel any better. A bit worse, in fact. If he was a loser, what did it mean when even losers were summarily rejecting me now? Thirty-two and single, prospects dimming. I walked to the convenience store across the street, bought a tub of Häagen-Dazs Mint Chip and consumed the whole thing in five joyless minutes. Fell asleep right after that and then had to get up at one in the morning to let poor Tupper out. He’s the innocent in all this. My suffering shouldn’t add to his. I’m not worthy of dating and I suck at taking care of my dog.

When my alarm went off, the night’s pseudo rest hadn’t helped my mood or my facial complexion. Raccoon eyes. Datelessness shall extend into perpetuity!

I kept to myself during morning break and lunch. Pretty much worked right through. Background research on savings and loan ad campaigns was infinitely more fascinating than my life. Went home straight after work, let Tupper out and decided to cocoon in bed. Maybe the Canucks will put in another good game and give me a little pleasure.

KEN’S JOURNAL:
SARA CALLED RIGHT AFTER GETTING THE KIDS OFF TO SCHOOL THIS MORNING. “I’M SORRY I DIDN’T CALL YESTERDAY. EVERYTHING WAS…WELL, WHAT IT ALWAYS IS THESE DAYS. HOW’D YOU MAKE OUT?”

“IT SUCKED, SARA. THE MILESTONES SUCK.”

“YEAH.”

NOTHING MORE TO SAY. FOR DIFFERENT REASONS, WE WERE BOTH EMOTIONALLY SPENT.

“I NEED TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE,” SHE FINALLY SAID. “I’M THINKING OF GETTING BACK INTO MY PHOTOGRAPHY.” GREAT NEWS! SHE NEEDED SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT BESIDES BEING A WIFE AND MOTHER, ESPECIALLY SINCE NEITHER ROLE HAD BEEN PARTICULARLY SATISFYING LATELY. SHE CAME BY MY PLACE AND WE WALKED UP TO ART BEATUS GALLERY TO SEE A NEW PHOTOGRAPHIC EXHIBIT CALLED STREETHEADS. I TEND TO STRUGGLE IN GRASPING WHAT MAKES A PHOTOGRAPH SO COMPELLING, BUT SARA WAS IN HER ELEMENT. AFTER ONLY A COUPLE OF MINUTES, SHE WAS MOVED TO TEARS. I WONDERED IF IT WAS SOLELY ON ACCOUNT OF THE ART OR IF SHE JUST NEEDED ANOTHER CHANNEL FOR LETTING OUT HER DOMESTIC WOES.

WE ATE LEBANESE FOOD AT NUBA. BOTH OF US WENT BACK TO BEING SUBDUED. AFTER WALKING BACK TO MY PLACE, SHE HEADED HOME AND I CLIMBED BACK INTO BED. I DIDN’T HAVE THE ENERGY TO DO ANYTHING BEFORE THE CANUCKS GAME. EVEN WITHOUT A JOB, MONDAYS SEEM LIKE THE WORST DAY OF THE WEEK.

No comments:

Post a Comment