Monday, March 22, 2010

THE DEMOLITION PROJECT

LIBRA HOROSCOPE (from astrology.com): There’s quite a bit going on today — and you love it! Your good energy is just right for juggling several balls at once and impressing your audience quite a bit. You may acquire a new patron.

Laura’s Log:

“I’ve got a problem with you having a female roommate.” And with that I’d turned a page. The All New Laura. No more letting an issue fester.

Gabriel had taken the water taxi over to Granville Island and I’d walked down to meet him as the souped up three-men-in-a-tub vessel docked. It was one of those quaint, antiquated scenes you’d expect to see in a remote fishing village, not smack in the middle of the city. Just one of the many reasons I loved living in Vancouver. We hugged but there was a distance between us, tensions lingering from my abrupt retreat home last night. We held hands for a few paces as we headed toward the market but our hands released as we dodged a clueless family preoccupied by the novelty of scavenger sea gulls. (Where were these people from? The concrete jungle that is Moose Jaw?) Neither of us bothered to reestablish the hand holding gesture. After ordering a couple of bland coffees, we sat a table by a window and stared out at the small boats going by. The accompanying uncomfortable silence provoked me to lay the issue on the table.

Gabriel laughed in response. One of those short bursts that projected annoyance—laughter as a weapon. In disgust, he said, “So here we go again.” I gave him a quizzical look which he correctly read as WTF?! I’ve never talked about your roommate before. He elaborated: “It always comes up. I thought you were different. Why are women so insecure?”

Insecure?! Ooh, not the way to begin a heartfelt discussion. I shifted to get a front-on view of the water. I didn’t feel like looking directly at Gabriel. In fact, I blocked him out. Dragon boating season must be starting. There was a team on the water. Always thought about joining a group. Maybe this was the year.

He reached for my hand but I brushed him away, deciding to run my hand through my hair. Maybe the breeze outside had messed it up a bit. He sighed loudly and decided to retreat from his aggressive response. “She’s a good friend. We go back six, seven years. We’re just friends. Always have been. Never anything more. Not even an isolated drunken night or anything like that. Friends. That’s it.”

“It’s just awkward. Any roommate is a little weird. I’m thirty-two, not twenty-two. It feels like I’m visiting you in a dorm. The fact Chris is a woman just makes it weirder.”

As I glanced at him, he folded his arms, bit his lower lip and projected his irritation by glaring at the very loud Mandarin-speaking women at the table beside us. It was a line in the sand moment. Did I really want a female roommate to become a make-or-break issue? I braced as he opened his mouth to speak. “I’m not a lawyer or a doctor. I sell electronics. Having a roommate helps me live a little. I can do things because my entire paycheck isn’t swallowed up as rent money. And it’s nice that I have a roommate I get along with. She’s clean, she’s pleasant, she’s a friend. Sorry, but that’s where I’m at.”

“Well,—”

He got up. “No, no. Don’t say a thing. I’m really tired of this topic always coming up. I don’t feel like defending myself again. I’m sorry, but this just isn’t going to work out.” He looked at me one more time. What did he see? Shock? “Sorry.” He walked away and I sat there in a stupor. What had just happened? That wasn’t much of a discussion, was it?

The All New Laura was off to a shitty start. Perhaps this was indeed the year for dragon boating. It sure looked like I had the time.

KEN’S JOURNAL (via BlackBerry):

THANK GOD I’VE GOT THE HASSLE OF DEALING W/THE CITY TODAY. DON’T THINK I’D HANDLE MY 1ST DAY OF UNEMPLOYMENT SO WELL SITTING @ HOME EATING A PACKAGE OF STALE WHEAT THINS & SURFING HOROSCOPE SITES ONLINE.

HAD A GREAT MTG W/CARLA LAST NITE. WENT AHEAD & HIRED HER FOR THE OFFICE RENOS. SHE’S A BIT ODD. SOME WEIRD SHIT ABOUT “SOMETIMES I’M CARLA, SOMETIMES I’M CARL” BUT WHATEVER. I’LL CALL HER (HIM?) WHATEVER THAT FREAKIN’ SYMBOL WAS THAT PRINCE WENT W/IN THE EARLY ‘90s IF SHE (HE?) WANTS. HER REFERENCES ARE IMPECCABLE & THE PORTFOLIO SHE BROUGHT ALONG BLEW ME AWAY. EVERYTHING CLICKED. EVEN GOT AHOLD OF THE AGENT & HAD A CHANCE TO CHECK OUT THE SPACE SO CARL(A) CLD HELP ME PIN DOWN EXACTLY WHAT PERMITS WLD BE NECESSARY.

I’M ON A HIGH RIGHT NOW. I’M EVEN EXCITED TO TAKE ON THE BUREAUCRATS @ CITY HALL. HEY, JAMES CAMERON, COUGH UP YOUR CROWN ‘CUZ I’M KING OF THE WORLD. I’M NOT UNEMPLOYED. I’M SELF-EMPLOYED. IT FEELS EFFIN’ GREAT!

DAMN, THAT WAS ONE SMOKIN’ ESPRESSO I GOT @ BEAN AROUND THE WORLD THIS MORNING!

No comments:

Post a Comment