Sunday, March 7, 2010

OSCARS, I’M A GROUCH

March 7, 2010
OSCARS, I’M A GROUCH
LIBRA HOROSCOPE (from astrology.com): Your brainpower is sparking new ideas today, so you should be able to get yourself in the right mode for almost anything. Share what you've got with those around you and move forward together.

Laura’s Log:

Whose Oscars are they anyway? Tamara, Nadia and I watched “District 9” last night and couldn’t wait for it to be over. Felt like it should have been a short. After the first ten minutes, it was really nothing more than a sci-fi shoot ’em up flick for boys, with a few teary eyed phone calls thrown in. I am having a hard time accepting the fact that “District 9” and “The Hurt Locker” got nominated over “A Single Man” and “(500) Days of Summer”. I’d be pissed if I were Tom Ford. (Apparently they really don’t like you.) Even the only halfway successful “Julie and Julia” would’ve been a better candidate. Too bad they didn’t edit the title to “Julia”. (Worked for Vanessa Redgrave et al. in the ’70s.)

Maybe I was in a bit of a snit after our foray to the Salsa Festival was a bust. We thought there’d be hour-long workshops, but no. Full day salsa immersion. Sorry, but apparently I have commitment issues after all. Should’ve checked the website. We wanted to see some of the pros rehearsing but we were denied. I was trying to convince an official to let us in, but then Nadia got lippy. Tossed to the curb. We never even got a glimpse of the male-male salsa pair, Eli and Yen. A YouTube clip is just not the same.

It may have been just the movie, but by the time “District 9” was over, Tamara, Nadia and I had had enough of each other. Katherine’s back from Puerto Vallarta and is hosting an Oscar party so I’ll head over there for a new social experience. (Katherine hates—or at least strongly dislikes—Nadia and Tamara so I’ll be forced to mingle.) Aside from my Oscar predictions, I’m betting Katherine will be dressed in something simple, yet elegant in white to highlight her new fab tan. What can I wear to minimize my year-round pasty look? Will there be any single guys in attendance? Desirable ones? How about her cousin Gabriel? He was off the market for much of last year, but then there was that unfortunate breakup just before Christmas. So sad. He’s cleared the Rebound period, hasn’t he? I just hope he’s not a “District 9” fan. Or a “Hurt Locker” gusher. Or an “Avatar” advocate.

Suddenly it’s looking grim that I could meet a guy at the party. Damn you, Oscar!

KEN’S JOURNAL:
OSCARS, SCHMOSCARS. “THE HANGOVER” WAS ROBBED! YEP, I’M WATCHING THE CANUCKS INSTEAD. HERE’S HOPING LOU BOUNCES BACK IN NET. AND HENRIK REDISCOVERS HIS SCORING TOUCH.

REAL ESTATE SHOPPING YESTERDAY WAS A BUST. A SPACE IN A STRIP MALL IN PITT MEADOWS AIN’T GONNA CUT IT. I’M STARTING TO REALIZE THAT WE’RE GOING TO BUILD UP A MASSIVE DEBT B/F WE EVEN OPEN OUR DOORS. SUDDENLY EXCITING HAS TAKEN A BACKSEAT TO FRIGHTENING. WHAT R THE SIGNS OF AN ULCER ANYWAY?

MAY NOT BE SUCH A BAD THING THAT RAJ IS WAFFLING ON JOINING US. I DON’T THINK I CAN GO AROUND HOLDING HIS HAND WHEN MY PALMS R GETTING SO SWEATY.

I COMPLETELY REREAD OUR BUSINESS PLAN THIS MORNING. IT ROCKS. WE ROCK. GAWD, I NEEDED THAT REMINDER.

IT’LL ALL BE GREAT. AFTER THE FIRST 3 YRS OR SO. HEY, I LOVED KRAFT MAC & CHEESE IN UNIVERSITY. I CAN LUV IT AGAIN. ONLY NOW IT’LL COME IN A GENERIC YELLOW BOX W/BLACK PRINT. SAME THING,…RIGHT?

No comments:

Post a Comment