Sunday, March 14, 2010

HOLDING ON TO A GOOD THING

LIBRA HOROSCOPE (from astrology.com): You should take the time to really appreciate what you’ve got today — you’ve got the capacity for it, certainly, and you might find a way to lift the spirits of those around you if you remind them.

Laura’s Log:
It wasn’t just the time change that made me miss morning brunch with the family, but at 8:07, the phone rang.

“Why are you still at home?! Aren’t you coming? We’re all waiting. I made waffles. They’re getting cold. And I’m trying out a pumpkin spice muffin recipe for the first time. Even your father says he likes them. There won’t be any left.”

I feebly repeated my standard 8 a.m. Is Not Brunch Time speech, but Mom cut me off again to mention that she was missing prime garage sale time for the sake of family and how it would be nice if certain other members of the family could place as much value on the weekly get-togethers.

“Lucy there?” I asked.

“No.”

"Marella?”

“No.”

“We just lost an hour with the time change. It’s—”

“So I’ll see you at 9.”

“N—” She beat me to the dial tone.

Gabriel reached over and hugged me. I could feel he was wide awake, time change be damned. That pecker could outlast the Energizer Bunny.

After another round of sex, I was TKO.

But then Gabriel asked, “Who was that on the phone?”

“Just my mother,” I mumbled in a half-growl that I hoped came off as my sleepy voice.

“What did she want?” I rolled over to face him. Damn those eyes. Even through my squint, they held a dangerous power over me. I propped myself up with a pillow and gave him a five-minute crash course on my family’s insane early bird Sunday brunch tradition.

“So let’s go,” he said, sitting up.

What?! How had he concluded he was invited? I hadn’t yet mentioned him to any of my sisters, much less my parents. Why ruin a good thing?

He got up, headed for the bathroom. I heard the shower running. Oh, my gawd. He was getting ready. Tupper whined from the side of the bed. I looked down to see his tail wagging, those puppy dog eyes begging for a walk. No matter how old he got, his eyes were always that of a pup. I sat up, stretched and decided I’d figure out how to get out of brunch while walking Tupper. He’d been waiting long enough for his morning routine. And as my feet hit the floor, I stepped in a puddle. What was I thinking? Tupper doesn’t wait.

I traipsed to the bathroom to wash my feet, leaving a wet footprint path behind me. As I explained to Gabriel why I had an urgent need to scrub my feet, he grabbed a towel and began drying off. “I’ll walk him,” he said. “Take your time. Enjoy a hot shower. How ’bout I pick you up a latté?”

Oh, my gawd. So this was my sanity amongst the insanity. It had only been a week since our first real conversation and already I felt more connected to Gabriel than almost any other guy I’d dated. Almost made the dry spell and the hideous train wreck dates prior to the dry spell worth it. Almost.

I was finishing mopping when Gabriel and Tupper returned. He kissed me and held me tightly before handing me my morning Starbucks. It was just enough perfection to give me the confidence to say, “We’re not going to my parents’. Not today. I still want you all to myself.”

And, just to underscore the perfection, he took the mop from me, smiled and said, “O.K.”

KEN’S JOURNAL:
FOUR OFFERS ON THE CONDO, THREE ABOVE ASKING, TWO OF THOSE W/O ANY SUBJECTS. ALL FROM A SINGLE OPEN HOUSE. VANCOUVER REAL ESTATE IS INSANE!

ACCEPTED AN OFFER $14K ABOVE LIST. DONE DEAL. MARTY & I CELEBRATED W/BEER & WATCHING AN EXCELLENT FINAL 2 PERIODS OF CANUCKS DOMINATING THE SENS. PRETTY FREAKIN’ PERFECT NITE!

AND THEN AFTER MARTY LEFT, IT HIT ME. FOR ALL THE AWESOMENESS OF BEING A SELLER IN THE VAN MARKET, I NOW HAD TO SWITCH TO BUYER. I HAD TO GIVE UP POSSESSION FOR JUNE 1ST.

GOT UP 3 TIMES IN THE NITE, TURNING ON ALL THE LIGHTS, LOOKING @ MY PLACE, LOOKING @ MY VIEW & THINKING, “WHAT THE FUCK HAVE I DONE?!”

SOMETIMES I DISTORT THINGS & THE PANIC BUILDS IN THE WEE HOURS. COME MORNING, I’M CLEARER & I CAN THINK OF A PLAN TO DEAL W/WHATEVER WORRIED ME. WHEN I FINALLY DECIDED IT WAS TIME TO GET UP FOR GOOD, I SLOWLY WALKED THRU THE CONDO, ADMIRING IT JUST LIKE I HAD THE DAY I MOVED IN.

AND W/THE CLARITY OF MORNING, ONE THOUGHT CONSUMED ME:

WHAT THE FUCK HAVE I DONE?!

No comments:

Post a Comment