Wednesday, March 24, 2010

OUT WITH THE OLD

LIBRA HOROSCOPE (from astrology.com): This is not the time to add any work to your list. If your boss, mate or teammates try to get you to start on something new, do whatever it takes to let them know how crazy you feel already!

Laura’s Log:
I’m being punished by my temp agency. This is the third day in a row when I haven’t had work. No doubt it’s because of my unfortunate reaction to caffeine at the funeral home. Did Theodore overreact and give the agency an earful? Probably. I guess he’s not used to that much life in his line of work. But I don’t mean to blame him. I am Laura and I am a coffee junkie. Is it a problem? Only when I start on my third pot of coffee. It would be a bit severe to say I need to quit cold turkey; it’s all about knowing when to say when.

Mom doesn’t seem the least bit surprised that I haven’t gotten any work this week. “It’s your own fault. You’ve always been reckless with your coffee.” Uh, thanks for that. Do supportive mothers only appear in Hallmark movies of the week? Still, Mom did see me in my most caffeinated state so it’s impossible for me to minimize the incident. I just hate it when she has real evidence to support her attempts to crush my self-esteem.

“I’ve decided to redo your bedroom. Turn it into a sewing/scrapbooking room. How ’bout you join me at Home Depot and the fabric store? Help me pick out material for the new curtains.”

Why my room? What about Estelle’s? Or Marella’s? Did Lucy know Mom was stripping away all memories of our room? Why did I care? And when did Mom get interested in scrapbooking?

I knew that if I joined her on this shopping expedition, I’d be on the hook for the fifty-three other trips she’d make before making the final decisions on the redecorating venture. A mother-daughter tag team. No thanks.

“Sorry, Mom. I’ve got an interview today,” I fibbed.

“Oh, that’s wonderful, dear! Is it with that dentist I told you about? I think you’d have a real knack for getting people to floss. Could you have a talk with your father about that? Although I do think you are selling yourself short. Why don’t you give that handsome mayor of ours a call? I think you’d be able to make a real difference at city hall. Of course, he’d want you to ride your bike to work. Your father will have to give that old bike of yours a servicing. I hate the thought of you out on the busy streets and having a tire fall off. You know how the drivers—”

“Sorry, Mom. Gotta go.” She so seldom ever gave me an option other than the abrupt hang up. And to think I was the one who had problems handling her caffeine.

KEN’S JOURNAL:

5 WEEKS’ VACATION TIME. THAT’S WHAT THEY OWE ME. NO WONDER I’M FRIED. THE BOSS NEVER LET ME TAKE MORE THAN 2 DAYS AT A TIME. ALWAYS MORE WORK. ALWAYS A PROJECT THAT WAS URGENT. AND I ALWAYS SUCKED IT UP FOR THE TEAM. NOW THEY THINK THEY DON’T OWE ME COMPENSATION FOR THAT?! CHRIST! THANK GOD MY FRIEND DENTON IS A LAWYER & IS TAKING UP MY CAUSE FOR FREE. (THAT’S ASSUMING A FORMAL LETTER & A BALLS-TO-THE-WALL PHONE CALL ARE ENUF TO MAKE THEM COUGH UP WHAT’S OWED.) I DON’T NEED THIS SHIT RIGHT NOW.

I’VE BEEN UP SINCE 5 A.M., FREAKIN’ OVER MY (ALMOST) IMMINENT HOMELESSNESS. SURFED CONDOS ON MLS UNTIL MY EYES GLAZED OVER. ACTUALLY, I KEPT GOING. CAN’T SAY I RECALL A THING ABOUT THE LAST 90 PLACES I SUPPOSEDLY LOOKED AT. GOT A LIST OF 14 PLACES I’D AT LEAST LOOK AT. NOW MARTY’S GOT TO SET UP THE VIEWINGS.

IT WORRIES ME THAT I LOSE INTEREST IN BROWSING CONDO LISTINGS. HERE I AM HEADING INTO THE MARKET AS AN AGENT. MY LIFE WILL BE RULED BY MLS. IT SOUNDS WEIRD BUT IT’S NEVER AS FUN SHOPPING W/MY OWN $$. IN FACT, IT’S PAINFUL. SPENDING OTHER PEOPLE’S MONEY? ON MULTIMILLION DOLLAR HOUSES ON THE WEST SIDE? NOW THAT EXCITES ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment