Monday, March 1, 2010

DON'T LET IT DIE JUST YET

March 1, 2010
LIBRA HOROSCOPE (from astrology.com): It's the perfect day for getting out there and showing others what you've got. That could mean speed-dating or it could mean hanging out quietly with friends -- it's totally up to you.

Laura’s Log:
Back to the grind. I am filling in for one week, maybe two, as an administrative assistant for Theodore Plowright, the world’s giddiest funeral director. Frankly, I think I prefer the solemn, pale stereotype. Despite watching the first two seasons of “Six Feet Under”, I still picture morticians as being like Alvin Brickrock on an episode of “The Flintstones”. Poor Ingrid Hauerstrom. As she met to finalize matters for her husband Lars, Theodore kept laughing as he recalled Edgar Bergen routines with his dummy Charlie McCarthy. Freakier than a circus clown if you ask me. I’m sure Ingrid would concur.

Had another strange experience this afternoon, arising from tragic circumstances. A twenty-seven year old man lost his wife to a car accident on the weekend. Distraught, he brought along a buddy to be with him as he met with Theodore. While I’m usually the last to know, I’d swear the friend was flirting with me. Told me I looked like Joannie Rochette, “only prettier”. (I’m thinking he’s still drunk from last night’s Team Canada victory celebration.) Left me his business card on his way out—“In case you ever need a good plumber. I’m great with my snake.” Creepy. And gross. With some people, it’s so clear why they’re single.

Gosh, I wonder if that applies to me in the eyes of others.

If Theodore takes on the personality of a gregarious buffoon, at least I can balance things out at the funeral home with a healthy dose of depressing thoughts.

KEN’S JOURNAL (via BlackBerry):
O CANADA! I MUST HAVE SUNG THE NATIONAL ANTHEM THIRTY TIMES YESTERDAY. I EVEN (SORT OF) MASTERED A FRENCH VERSE, THANKS TO COLLEGE BUD MATTIEU WHO FLEW IN FROM MONTRÉAL TO ENJOY THE LAST WEEKEND OF THE GAMES.

I’M NOT READY TO END THE PARTY. THE MONDAY WORK ROUTINE ONLY PUT A MOMENTARY STOP TO THE CELEBRATION. THE GUYS & I ARE HITTING SOME BARS IN YALETOWN TONITE. LUCKILY, I’LL BE ABLE TO CRAWL HOME. NOT A MOLSON CANADIAN CONNOISSEUR, BUT IT’S THE PERFECT DRINK FOR THE MOMENT.

No comments:

Post a Comment